Walk the first stage of the Camino de Santiago, from St Jean Pied de Port which crosses the French and Spanish border to Pamplona where they host the “running of the bulls”.
Experience an authentic Camino as you join fellow pilgrims on your journey across the Pyrenees mountains, sleep in a monastery enjoy a pilgrim meal with people from all over the world and celebrate in style as you arrive in Pamplona where the wine is cheaper than the water!
SEPTEMBER 16th – TRAVEL DAY
- Depart from London Stansted Airport (STN) – London Stansted Airport (STN)
- Arrive at Biarritz Pays Basque Airport (BIQ) – Biarritz Pays Basque Airport (BIQ)
- Private Transfer Check-in at hotel in, Biarritz
- Enjoy a nice evening meal and explore Biarritz
SEPTEMBER 17TH – DAY 1 – ST JEAN TO REFUGE ORISSON
- Check out of the hotel in Biarritz – Biarritz
- 8:30hrs – Private Transfer
- 10:00hrs – Walkers briefing, collect your first Pilgrim stamp and then we set off into the fabulous Pyrenees Mountains. Today’s walk is about 5 miles, but it is mostly uphill and can be quite challenging. The views along the way are amazing!
- 14:00hrs – Enjoy a cold glass of Sangria – Check-in at Refuge Orisson
- Included: Evening pilgrim meal.
September 18th – DAY 2 – REFUGE ORISSON TO RONCESVALLES
- 7:30hrs Check out at Refuge Orisson and enjoy a traditional French Breakfast with the biggest coffee mugs you have ever seen!
- 8:30hrs – Leave your luggage in reception and meet outside for the walkers briefing.
- Today we take a trip up and over the Pyrenees mountains. We walk through lots of forest areas, see wild horses, sheep & cows and do a little dance over the Spanish border. We have lunch in the small hut (which we collected from the refuge last night). The descend into Roncesvalles where we will sleep in an old monastery. Today’s trail is approx 10.5 miles / 17km
- The evening meal is included with the hostel, although there is an option to upgrade to the hotel across the road if you so wish.
SEPTEMBER 19th – DAY 3 – RONCESVALLES TO ZUBIRI
- 7:30hrs – Check out at Albergue de peregrinos de Roncesvalles
- 8:15hrs – Leave your luggage and enjoy your breakfast.
- 8.30hrs – Walkers briefing then we set off heading for Zubiri. Today we have the ringing of the bell, visit a few churches, enjoy lots of cafes and a stroll along the river. The descent into Zubiri is rather steep, so poles may be needed on this section. The walk today is approximately 13.5 miles / 21 km.
- Evening meal – flexible, although I do know a cracking little place just on the outskirts of town.
- Tonight’s accommodation is either a hostel or hotel.
SEPTEMBER 20th – DAY 4 – ZUBIRI to PAMPLONA
- 8:00hrs Check out of our hotel (breakfast is included).
- 8:15hrs – leaving our luggage & walkers briefing.
- 8.30hrs – And we are off. – ZUBIRI TO PAMPLONA – 12.5 miles / 20.5 km. Today’s walk is a beautiful trail. There are a few hills to climb, but there are also lots of little Spanish villages and cafes along the way. Once you reach the walls of Pamplona you can celebrate in style and grab a stamp at the Cathedral.
- Tonight we are staying in pure luxury at the wonderful Hotel Tres Reyes. You have just completed the Camino Pyrenees section so you deserve a bit of pampering!
SEPTEMBER 21st – TRAVEL DAY
- 10am – Check out of the Hotel – but you can leave your luggage in the main reception as you walk 5 mins into the city to explore this wonderful place.
- 18:30 Private transport back to the airport.
- 21:21 Depart from Biarritz Pays Basque Airport (BIQ) – Biarritz
- 22:20 Arrive at London Stansted Airport (STN)