We only have 12 weeks left until the big day and it will come around really quickly. So here is an update of how things are coming along:-
Things to take list
So far we have purchased our rucksacks, walking poles, guidebooks and a few other bits and bobs. I am working through the list of things to buy and am just doing a little bit each week.
Here is a quick list of things that I have learned from others that have walked the Camino:-
- We need to buy ziplock bags, or dry sacks to keep our stuff dry in the rucksacks.
- I have learned how to manage blisters (needle and cotton!).
- Bed bug sheets have been delivered.
- I am still not convinced about Microfibre towels, but I think I will need to get one each.
- We have bought Lush Shampoo bars, which will wash everything.
- We now understand the reason why they attach a shell to the back of the rucksacks.
- We have made the decision to not carry more than 15lbs
- I have downloaded an app to learn a little bit of Spanish.
We have booked the flights. We fly out to Biarritz on 27th May 2016, and we are getting the train from the airport straight to St Jean De Pied De Port. We have yet to book our accommodation in St Jean, and we also want to book our first Alberger (hostel) after the first day’s walking – but then we are on our own!
Training – 12 weeks to go
So the training plan was going to plan until I got the flu! This week, I have only hit my steps goal five out of the 7 days and it’s been tough going. I have managed to walk 6.4 miles on Saturday this week, which included a trek around Salcey Forrest with my best mate Julie (who is is also joining us on the Camino in May).
Sunday we walked a geocaching trail around Irchester Country Park – which included quite a lot of hills, mud and climbing! Not quite the Pyrenees, but it was a good start! We collected 6 geocaches, and these ones were all in trees! Some were extremely adventurous and I’m pleased that we had Jamie with us (who was happy to shimmy up a tree or two!).
Next week I am upping the game, so we need to achieve a minimum of 8 miles on both Saturday and Sunday, and my minimum step goal every day will be 8k.
— Julia Doherty (@JuliaDoherty) February 28, 2016