CAMINO PYRENEES – 2021
£720.00 – £760.00
The Camino is not just a walking holiday, it's a vacation, a vacation from life. Join us on this magical trail for an experience of a lifetime as we explore the delights of the Pyrenees mountains, spend a night in a monastery and be woken by piped music of monks singing! This is a true Camino experience.
DATES: 2nd – 7th October 2021
- Includes flights, accommodation (bed and breakfast) and transfers.
- An experienced guide on the ground.
- A fitness plan, plus training hikes to get you ready for your challenge.
- A workshop so you have a full understanding of the Camino.
- You will receive a Camino starter pack, including shell, peace pebble, guide, Camino passport.
GET OUTSIDE AND GET INSPIRED, GO TAKE A HIKE!
Find out more by clicking the tabs below the photos.
Camino De Santiago Taster 2021
The ﬁrst section of the Camino Frances route takes you through the most stunning scenery of the Pyrenees, quaint Spanish villages and ending in a city full of history. Over the next 6 days (4 days walking) you will experience a taste of the true Camino and all its glory.
YOUR ADVENTURE WILL INCLUDE:
- Return flights from Stansted.
- 5 nights accommodation (including bed and breakfast)
- All transfers
- Daily baggage transfer service, so that you only need to carry a day pack. (optional)
- Walking with a small group of no more than 15 people.
- A very friendly, welcoming, fully qualified and experienced walk leader on the ground to guide you the way.
- Medical support for minor medical needs. (All guides carry a first aid kit and are first aid qualified).
- A pre-walk training day with a presentation explaining the itinerary, what to expect and answering all of your questions.
- Daily fact sheets, with the training package.
- A Camino Passport (Celebrate your journey and record your achievement by getting your passport stamped at along the route, which will allow you to claim your certificate in Santiago)
YOUR ADVENTURE DOES NOT INCLUDE:-
- Travel Insurance
- Evening meals
- Entrance fees
- Personal expenses (such as your bar bill)
- Discretionary tips
Your flights and accommodation will be arranged personally for you by an approved Adventure Geek travel agent.
When you book your adventure, our travel agent will confirm the terms and conditions of your package including any amendment and cancellation options and fees.
This means that you can be confident knowing that although you’ve booked and confirmed your adventure, you can still make changes for flights and accommodation.
NB: A few of the accommodation options may require payment directly to the venue.
NB: A further deposit will be payable to the travel agent at time of confirmation of your travel arrangements.
Let the journey begin…
Day 1 – Travel Day
Day 2 – Biarritz to Refuge Orison 5.5 miles / 8.6km
We take a train on a very scenic route to the foot of the Pyrenees and the start of your Camino journey. We will walk from the train station to the Pilgrims passport ofﬁce where we will start to experience what life is like as a pilgrim. We will purchase another passport, and a shell, as well as collecting our ﬁrst stamp of the day. We can take our time and explore the small town and shops of St Jean Pied De Port before we embark on the journey ahead of us.
11am – We will start walking, taking it very slow and steady with lots of breaks. It is only 5.5 miles, but fairly steep miles! Refuge Orisson (the most expensive hostel on the Camino, but you will see why when you get there!). Time for a nice hot shower and relaxing on the veranda overlooking some of the most spectacular views that you will ever see. You will be in awe as you treat yourself to a well-deserved glass of something and pat yourself on the back! You did it! You climbed a mountain! The evening you will experience your ﬁrst Pilgrim meal. We order our lunch for the next day (unless you bought food at St Jean), and then it is time for bed. The accommodation is a comfy bunk bed that you will be sharing with your fellow pilgrims. You are about to experience the pilgrim song!
Day 3 – Refuge Orison to Roncesvalles 10.5 miles / 17.52km
Depart early as we have a long day ahead of us and we fuel up on the biggest coffee cups you have ever seen and a traditional pilgrim breakfast.
Today we walk over the top of the Pyrenees and cross the border into Spain. We will see wild horses, lots of sheep and buzzards. You will hear the sound of cowbells constantly and you will feel truly alive. Your legs may be a little sore from yesterday’s steep walk but it feels strangely good! As we descend through a forest trail into the small Spanish village of Roncesvalles you will marvel at the monastery where we will be staying tonight. This hostel is very modern and is set into pods of four bunks. Everyone has their own light, power source and locker for their backpack.
The evening is yours to do with as you so wish. You can explore the village, attend the evening mass in the wonderful church and receive a pilgrim blessing. Many hikers take advantage of the pilgrim meal offered at one of the two restaurants in the town. Meal tickets for the evening meal can be purchased at the hostel when you are checking in.
Day 4- Roncesvalles to Zubiri – 13.5 miles / 21.34 km
You will be woken early by monks singing as the music is piped through the sound system of the monastery to wake up all the pilgrims. We take the short 2-mile walk to the next village before indulging in a scrumptious breakfast and hot café con leche.
This section of our route works its way steadily downwards as we head out of the Pyrenees. Undulating terrain and woodland paths through small villages are the highlights of the day, including many café stops along the way. The evening is your own to decide what you would like to do. There is the church service and a choice of many bars and restaurants in this small town.
Day 5 – Zubiri to Pamplona – 12.50 miles / 20.25 km
The walk today is relatively ﬂat with the ﬁrst section on rural tracks. The second half of the walk is along the river and then into the suburbs of the city of Pamplona, which takes you through a beautiful riverside park. Pamplona is full of culture and is a rather large city. You can feel the energy as you walk into the centre and you will see pilgrims rucksacks with the shell attached at every corner and every bar. It brings an atmosphere that you can’t help but get caught up in. There is so much to do in Pamplona but we also have a good part of tomorrow to explore this city. You will be tired from your day of walking, so it is time to enjoy a good meal, purchase your gifts for loved ones back home and reﬂect on your time on the Camino.
The first two days of this particular trail is rather steep and can be challenging as we climb up and over the Pyrenees. You will need to have reasonable fitness levels and you should be able to walk a minimum of 12 miles with no issues.
To prepare you for this hike, we also include:-
- A training plan (optional, although we strongly encourage you to join our training hikes).
- A kit list
- A preparation evening, so everyone can meet everyone beforehand, and Julia will talk through things such as health and safety, the terrain, what to expect, transport arrangements etc. (Date for this is Sunday 22nd September 2021)
- You will also be invited to join the WhatsApp or Facebook Group so we can share photos and use this as a communication channel.
NEED TO KNOW
Julia Doherty has walked this section of the Camino many times and is a confident walk leader.
APPROVED TRAVEL AGENT
Your personal travel agent is here to make planning your next Adventure Geek holiday stress-free and easy. From the whole package to those finishing touches such as booking extra meals etc, I've got you covered!
NB – Please note your travel arrangements will be subject to separate Terms and Conditions, the details of which will be fully explained and provided at the time of booking.
If you have walked a long-distance walk with Julia previously then you may be aware that some of her adventures are vlogged, journaled and often end up as books that are sold on the website / Amazon etc. Signing up for this walk will mean that you may end up in the book, or the vlog, however, please let us know beforehand if you do not want to be included in this media.
Adventure Geek Walks are open to anyone over the age of 10. However, anyone under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
I am afraid dogs are not allowed on this trip, unless they are registered assistance dogs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
There are no permissions expressed or implied by the Adventure Geek organisers. Participants make use of the facilities at their own risk and without express permission from the Adventure Geek organisers.
Walking is a physically active sport. If you have any doubts about your abilities, you should always seek advice from your GP before embarking on an Adventure Geek walk.
By registering for an event you accept that you do so entirely at your own risk and that it is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit and able to take part in the event. We regroup often and our walks cater for all levels of fitness.
Children under the age of 16 years old are the responsibility of their parents or guardians and need to be accompanied at all times before, during and after the walk.
Adventure Geek volunteers do not accept responsibility for injury, loss and damage sustained by a participant unless the above injury, loss and damage are proven to have been caused as a direct result of negligence on the part of the organisers.
- Deposits of this event are non-refundable.
- If you cancel within 4 weeks of the event then no refunds are available.
This is a joint venture between Adventure Geek and one of our approved travel agents.
NB: Prices are subject to availability and change.
Adventure Geek Costs – £280
- Experienced guide for the whole trip.
- Training plan, kit list, organised training walks, information evening.
- Camino starter pack (pebble, guide, shell, Camino passport).
- Luggage transfer (optional) – £40.00
- A non-refundable deposit of £100 paid initially. The balance will be due 10 weeks before we leave.
- Payment plans are optional if you wish to spread the costs.
Personal Travel Agent
- Personal/bespoke plan depending on your needs.
- Accommodation, flights and transfers.
- Your travel agent will require a deposit to secure the flights/accommodation, and the balance is due 14 weeks before we fly. This will be confirmed at the time of booking