HADRIAN’S WALL 2022
Have you ever dreamed of walking Hadrian's Wall?
DATES: 1st-8th August 2022 – SOLD OUT!
If you would like to go on the waiting list then please email Julia@adventuregeeek.co.uk
- 84 mile guided long-distance walk from coast to coast.
- Enjoy the unique mix of stunning craggy landscapes, far-reaching views across the Solway Firth, green fields and historic cities on this guided six-day walking trip along Hadrian’s Wall. Along the way visit one of the many Roman Forts and museums to imagine what life must have been like here as a Roman soldier. Take time to soak up the quiet solitude of this corner of England.
- Price includes accommodation, daily transport, luggage transfer, qualified guide, passport & map, access to the orange club for training hikes.
GET OUTSIDE AND GET INSPIRED
Out of stock
- DIFFICULTY LEVEL
- NEED TO KNOW
- Covid Refund Guarantee
- Payment Terms
- HADRIAN'S WALL PASSPORT
Walking the full 84 miles (135km) of Hadrian’s Wall Path is a delightful trip from coast to coast in England, taking in the remains of the Roman wall, built to keep the Scots out of England. In its day, the wall was a remarkable edifice and well-preserved sections of it still remain today along with several museums dedicated to taking you back to those heady days.
It is one of Britain’s most popular long-distance walks and one of the most pleasant to walk of all of the National Trails in the UK.
We walk through some of the wildest and most beautiful scenery in England and enjoy regular viewings of forts, castles, turrets, museums and visitor centres all along the wall. It will be a journey of discovery in more ways than one.
Your Adventure Will Include:
- Walking with a small group of no more than 12 people.
- All accommodation and transport back and forth to the trail head each day.
- A very friendly, welcoming, fully qualified and experienced walk leader on the ground to guide you the way.
- Medical support for minor medical needs. (All guides carry a first aid kit and are first aid qualified).
- A pre-walk training day with a presentation explaining the itinerary, what to expect and answering all of your questions, including a kit list.
- A Hadrian's Wall Passport (Collecting all seven stamps from the stations along the way entitles you to buy the exclusive purple enamel badge and achievers' certificate)
- Access to the AG “Orange Club” – which includes discounts on group training hikes to get you ready for your adventure.
- Access to a WhatsApp group for this adventure, so that you can get to know your fellow hikers before we complete the hike.
Your Adventure does not include:-
- Insurance (you will need your own travel insurance).
- All meals.
- Travel to Newcastle / back from Carlisle (although we will assist you with the arrangements)
Immerse yourself in history along Hadrian's Wall as you join Julia on one of her many adventures. This is a truly fascinating and rewarding walk in England, as we make our way across a whole country from the east coast to the west coast alongside one of Britain’s iconic landmarks.
(A detailed itinerary is provided upon booking).
- 1st August – Travel Day – Accommodation – Jury's Inn, Newcastle.
- 2nd August – Day 1 walking – Newcastle to Heddon on the Wall (approx 16 miles)
- 3rd August – Day 2 walking – Heddon on the Wall to Chollerford (approx 12 miles)
- 4th August – Day 3 walking – Chollerford to Twice Brewed (Approx 12 miles)
- 5th August – Day 4 walking – Twice Brewed to Birdoswald (Approx 10 miles)
- 6th August – Day 5 walking – Birdoswald to Carlisle (Approx 16 miles)
- 7th August – Day 5 walking – Carlisle to Bowness on Solway (13 miles)
- 8th August – Onward travel home.
This route is absolutely stunning but does have its challenges with a few steep parts, which means that you will need a good level of fitness to get the most enjoyment from walking the route.
To prepare you for this hike, we also include:-
- A training plan (optional)
- A kit list
- A preparation evening, so everyone can meet everyone beforehand, and Julia will talk through things such as health and safety, the terrain, what to expect, transport arrangements.
- You will also be invited to join the WhatsApp or Facebook Group so we can share photos and use this as a communication channel.
Below is the accommodation featured on this holiday. We will stay as a group and often eat together in the evening, although this is completely at your discretion. On the travel day, your walking guide (Julia) will meet everyone in the hotel lobby for drinks, handing out luggage travel tickets, maps, passports and just a general drop in to say hello.
We will be staying at three hotels on the trip.
Newcastle Upon Tyne – The Jurys Inn, Quayside (2 nights)
This hotel is perfectly located to explore Newcastle. The hotel takes in views of the river and the famous Millenium Bridge. It has plush rooms and a full restaurant (although there are many places to eat nearby).
Twice Brewed Inn – 2 nights.
The Twice Brewed Inn is not just your accommodation, but it is also part of your Hadrian's Wall experience.
Set just a stone's throw away from Hadrian's Wall, and surrounded by some of England's most breathtaking scenery, The Twice Brewed Inn is a popular country pub and bed and breakfast in the heart of rural Northumberland.
Serving hearty, home-cooked meals and an impressive selection of our own home-brewed ales and spirits, the Twice Brewed is the perfect pitstop for weary walkers and families alike. Whether it's getting cosy by the fire, or enjoying a pint in our large beer garden, there's something for everyone; and with our own onsite Brew House and Dark Skies Observatory, there's plenty more to keep you entertained.
The Station Hotel, Carlisle – 3 nights.
The Station Hotel is very friendly and welcoming with a fabulous bar and an awesome hot breakfast.
The hotel was built for the arrival of Queen Victoria in Carlisle in 1853 on the way to Balmoral, and it had its own special entrance so her Majesty could walk straight from the railway carriage to the hotel. A special suite was incorporated in the hotel for the Queen. In 1890, William Gladstone addressed the people of Carlisle from a hotel window.
You can purchase evening meals either at the accommodation or nearby.
For lunches, we would suggest bringing some of your own favourite snack bars and then asking the accommodation for a packed lunch for the following day and also supplementing that at stops en-route. There are a variety of honesty shacks along the route and various cafe's / pubs to grab something to eat. We will give you a full briefing each day.
NEED TO KNOW
If you have walked a long-distance walk with Julia previously then you may be aware that some of her adventures are vlogged, journaled and often end up as books which are sold on the website / Amazon etc. Signing up for this walk will mean that you may end up in the book, or the vlog, however, we please let us know beforehand if you do not want to be included in this media.
Adventure Geek Walks are open to anyone over the age of 10. However, anyone under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Food & Drink
Please note we do not supply any food or drinks for this day walk, you will need to fend for yourself.
I am afraid dogs are not allowed on this trip, unless they are registered assistance dogs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
There are no permissions expressed or implied by the Adventure Geek organisers. Participants make use of the facilities at their own risk and without express permission from the Adventure Geek organisers.
Walking is a physically active sport. If you have any doubts about your abilities, you should always seek advice from your GP before embarking on an Adventure Geek walk.
By registering for an event you accept that you do so entirely at your own risk and that it is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit and able to take part in the event. We regroup often and our walks cater for all levels of fitness.
Children under the age of 16 years old are the responsibility of their parents or guardians and need to be accompanied at all times before, during and after the walk.
Adventure Geek volunteers do not accept responsibility for injury, loss and damage sustained by a participant unless the above injury, loss and damage are proven to have been caused as a direct result of negligence on the part of the organisers.
- Deposits of this event are non-refundable.
- If you cancel within 4 weeks of the event then no refunds are available.
We will be travelling to Newcastle for the start of our journey and return from Carlisle, so check out flights and train times before you commit to booking your trip. We will discuss travelling up together during the training weekend.
If you are coming from outside of the UK, you will need to know the closest airports to fly into. The best places to arrive would be either Manchester or Newcastle airports. Newcastle is right where you want to be for the start, while Manchester is 3-4 hours away. You can also fly to Newcastle Airport from London, which may make the journey a lot quicker. Note: The nearest airport to Carlisle is also Newcastle.
By Public Transport
Newcastle and Carlisle are both well serviced by all major rail and bus companies. The best way to find out how to get here is to check out Traveline which will give you all the details you will need to know.
Covid Refund Guarantee
If your trip is cancelled due to Covid choose from free date changes, account credit, or a full refund.
Full Financial Protection: Your money is safe. Every booking is fully financially protected.
WHAT OUR COVID REFUND GUARANTEE INCLUDES:
If your trip is cancelled by Adventure Geek at any time up to the day of departure you will be offered the option to:
- Move to a new date.
- Convert your booking into account credit – which can be put towards any future adventure of your choice.
- Get a full refund. We process 100% of refunds within 14 days.
If your trip is going ahead but you need to cancel 30 days or less before departure due to Covid-19 we agree to waive our normal cancellation terms and offer you the option to move to a new date, convert to account credit or a full refund in the event that:
- You are prevented from travelling due to your government banning non-essential travel to the destination.
- You are prevented from travelling due to a national or local lockdown.
- You are prevented from travelling due to quarantine requirements on your return.
WHAT OUR COVID REFUND GUARANTEE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
Your normal cancellation terms will apply if you need to cancel your trip for the following reasons:
- You or a family member is diagnosed with Covid and you are required to self-isolate, which prevents you from travelling.
- A close relative is diagnosed with Covid and you are required to care for them.
- You are denied boarding to your flight due to failing Covid checks.
- You are unable to join your trip due to not fully complying with the testing or vaccination requirements to enter the destination country.
We recommend customers take out travel insurance with specific Covid-19 cancellation and curtailment provision which is now available from many reputable providers.
Deposit £100 – at the point of booking
Balance due 10-weeks before departure
HADRIAN'S WALL PASSPORT
Included in your package is a Hadrian's Wall Passport. Here you will collect stamps along the route. These can be found inside museums, forts or outside various venues in a little wooden box. They are fun to collect and a great keepsake for the memory bank.