HADRIAN’S WALL 2020
£39.00 – £160.00
Have you ever dreamed of walking Hadrian's Wall?
DATES: 11th-18th September 2020
- Includes guide book & Hadrian's Wall passport
- 84 mile guided long-distance walk from coast to coast.
- Choose a weekend section hike or the full monty.
- Training and preparation weekend is 1st/2nd August 2020
GET OUTSIDE AND GET INSPIRED
Find out more by clicking the tabs below the photos.
Walking the full or part of the 84 miles (135km) of Hadrian’s Wall Path is a delightful trip from coast to coast in England, taking in the remains of the Roman wall, built to keep the Scots out of England. In its day, the wall was a remarkable edifice and well-preserved sections of it still remain today along with several museums dedicated to taking you back to those heady days.
It is one of Britain’s most popular long-distance walks and one of the most pleasant to walk of the National Trails in the UK. Hadrian's Wall Path is extremely well waymarked, therefore, you can choose to walk with Julia, or if you prefer to start with the group and then venture off on your own then we will simply communicate via issued radio's or WhatsApp to make sure that everyone is safe.
We walk through some of the wildest and most beautiful scenery in England and enjoy regular viewings of forts, castles, turrets, museums and visitor centres all along the wall. It will be a journey of discovery in more ways than one.
Baggage Transfer Service
For this trail, we will be carrying our rucksacks, however, if this does not sound very appealing then we can arrange luggage transfer for an additional cost of £10 per day if you so wish. This will need to be booked in advance.
Your Adventure Will Include:
- Walking with a small group of no more than 10 people.
- A very friendly, welcoming, fully qualified and experienced walk leader on the ground to guide you the way.
- Medical support for minor medical needs. (All guides carry a first aid kit and are first aid qualified).
- A pre-walk training day with a presentation explaining the itinerary, what to expect and answering all of your questions.
- A guide book and full packing list.
- A Hadrian's Wall Passport (Collecting all seven stamps from the stamping stations along the way entitles you to buy the exclusive purple enamel badge and achievers' certificate)
Your Adventure does not include:-
- Insurance (you will need your own travel insurance).
- Accommodation (although, see the accommodation tab)
- Baggage transfer – optional extra
- Food and meals
Accommodation is not included in the price, but we have a plan!
The Adventure Geek team will be staying at various B&B's throughout the route, and our trusted travel agents will be more than happy to arrange this for you if you do not want to organise it yourself.
- You will receive a list of recommended accommodation options, which you can arrange directly with the B&B's.
- Our travel agent will book everything for you, from train tickets, flights if needed, luggage transfer between B&B's, and accommodation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like us to “Quote you happy” before committing to the trip.
How much should you budget for accommodation?
B&B's are approximately £30 per person to £80 per person, depending on the location and your budget.
IMPORTANT: Please book 1st & 2nd August in your diary for the training weekend.
Immerse yourself in history along Hadrian's Wall as you join Julia on one of her many adventures. This is a truly fascinating and rewarding walk in England, as we make our way across a whole country from the east coast to the west coast alongside one of Britain’s iconic landmarks. To mark the occasion we will be dipping our toes in the North Sea before we leave, and eight days later we will dip our toes in the Irish sea before heading home.
Short Summary of the Itinerary
Note: A more detailed itinerary will be shared with you upon booking.
Day 1: Fri 11th Sept – Arrive Newcastle and overnight
Day 2: Sat 12th Sept – Walk to Heddon, 15 miles / 24 km
Day 3: Sun 13th Sept – Walk to Chollerford, 15 miles / 24km
Day 4: Mon 14th Sept – Walk to Once Brewed, 13 miles / 21 km
Day 5: Tues 15th Sept – Walk to Lanercost, 13.5 miles / 21.5 km
Day 6: Wed 16th Sept – Walk to Carlisle, 13.5 miles / 21.5 km
Day 7: Thur 17th Sept – Walk to Bowness, 15 miles / 24 km
Day 8: Fri 18th Sept – Heading home
This route is absolutely stunning but does have its challenges with a few steep parts, which means that you will need a good level of fitness to get the most enjoyment from walking the route.
To prepare you for this hike, we also include:-
- A training plan (optional)
- A kit list
- A preparation evening, so everyone can meet everyone beforehand, and Julia will talk through things such as health and safety, the terrain, what to expect, transport arrangements.
- You will also be invited to join the WhatsApp or Facebook Group so we can share photos and use this as a communication channel.
NEED TO KNOW
Please be aware that Julia has not walked this specific trail before and therefore the group will experience an element of adventure and discovery as we go. Julia is a confident walk leader, an experienced navigator and long-distance hiker, so you can book with confidence.
If you have walked a long-distance walk with Julia previously then you may be aware that some of her adventures are vlogged, journaled and often end up as books which are sold on the website / Amazon etc. Signing up for this walk will mean that you may end up in the book, or the vlog, however, we please let us know beforehand if you do not want to be included in this media.
Adventure Geek Walks are open to anyone over the age of 10. However, anyone under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Food & Drink
Please note we do not supply any food or drinks for this day walk, you will need to fend for yourself.
I am afraid dogs are not allowed on this trip, unless they are registered assistance dogs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
There are no permissions expressed or implied by the Adventure Geek organisers. Participants make use of the facilities at their own risk and without express permission from the Adventure Geek organisers.
Walking is a physically active sport. If you have any doubts about your abilities, you should always seek advice from your GP before embarking on an Adventure Geek walk.
By registering for an event you accept that you do so entirely at your own risk and that it is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit and able to take part in the event. We regroup often and our walks cater for all levels of fitness.
Children under the age of 16 years old are the responsibility of their parents or guardians and need to be accompanied at all times before, during and after the walk.
Adventure Geek volunteers do not accept responsibility for injury, loss and damage sustained by a participant unless the above injury, loss and damage are proven to have been caused as a direct result of negligence on the part of the organisers.
- Deposits of this event are non-refundable.
- If you cancel within 4 weeks of the event then no refunds are available.
We will be travelling to Newcastle for the start of our journey and return from Carlisle, so check out flights and train times before you commit to booking your trip. We will discuss travelling up together during the training weekend.
If you are coming from outside of the UK, you will need to know the closest airports to fly into. The best places to arrive would be either Manchester or Newcastle airports. Newcastle is right where you want to be for the start, while Manchester is 3-4 hours away. You can also fly to Newcastle Airport from London, which may make the journey a lot quicker. Note: The nearest airport to Carlisle is also Newcastle.
By Public Transport
Newcastle and Carlisle are both well serviced by all major rail and bus companies. The best way to find out how to get here is to check out Traveline which will give you all the details you will need to know.