ECCLESBOURNE WAY WITH STEAM TRAIN EXPERIENCE (11 miles)
An 11-mile walking adventure following the River Ecclesbourne in Derbyshire, returning to the start via a steam train.
DATES: 6th June 2021
- Includes one steam train ticket from Wirksworth to Duffield.
- 17 km (11 miles) guided walk along the Ecclesbourne Way.
GET OUTSIDE AND GET INSPIRED
Find out more by clicking the tabs below the photos.
YOUR HASSLE-FREE ADVENTURE INCLUDES:
- Heritage Train Ticket
- A guided 17km (approx 11 miles) following the River Derwent in Duffield, Nr Derby.
- Visit the oldest recorded town in the Peak District (Wirksworth)
- A very friendly, welcoming, fully qualified and experienced walk leader on the ground to guide you the way.
- Medical support for minor medical needs. (All guides carry a first aid kit and are first aid qualified).
- A pre-walk training day with a presentation explaining the itinerary, what to expect and answering all of your questions.
Accommodation is not included in the price. Therefore please check the availability of your accommodation before you book your adventure.
The Adventure Geek crew will be staying at the YHA Ilam (14 miles from the starting point).
Ilam Hall is a 17th Century gothic manor sits in 84 acres of National Trust parkland and is stunning.
- Licensed bar
- En Suite rooms available
- Delicious food at affordable prices
- Games room including pool and table tennis
- Beautiful grounds to take an evening stroll
Prices vary depending on your requirements. Choose from a bunk bed in a shared dorm to a private room with ensuite.
Let us do the hard work for you.
Perhaps the YHA is not your style and you would prefer something a little more upmarket. If you would like our friendly travel agent to book your accommodation for you that matches your requirements and suits your personal budget, then simply let us know and we will do the rest. (our partnered agents are fully qualified and insured, so your bookings are safe and guaranteed).
The Ecclesbourne Way is a new walking route, following the course of the River Ecclesbourne in Derbyshire.
The walk starts in Duffield, 5 miles North of Derby and finishes in Wirksworth, following the full length of the Ecclesbourne upstream. There are panoramic views from Hilltop at 650 feet; the highest point of the route is 768 feet.
The length of the walk is around 11 miles. We will include lots of little breaks throughout the day, with lunch at Idridgehay, which is a little over halfway. At the end of the walk, we will return to Duffield via the heritage train.
The route is along footpaths, using existing rights of way, and a few minor roads. It is NOT entirely alongside the river, only quite a small amount is, depending on where footpaths are. The walk is as much about the valley, so it intentionally includes hills away from the river, which allows you to see the spread of the valley from above. The last section from Idridgehay to Wirksworth is the hilliest. So please don't expect a flat walk! This walk has some spectacular views, so bring your camera along!
More information can be found on the Ecclesbourneway.org.uk website.
The walk will commence at 8.30am and we should be finished by late lunchtime. The train times have not yet been published, but we are expecting the last train to be approximately 4 pm. We will let you know if anything changes.
The timings given are for a fit pensioner, and we will regroup often.
Note: We always have a tail walker for all of our walks, so that no-one is left behind.
This route is absolutely stunning but does have its challenges with a few steep parts.
To prepare you for this hike, we also include:-
- A training plan (optional)
- A kit list
- A preparation evening, so everyone can meet everyone beforehand, and Julia will talk through things such as health and safety, the terrain, what to expect, transport arrangements.
- You will also be invited to join the WhatsApp or Facebook Group so we can share photos and use this as a communication channel.
NEED TO KNOW
Adventure Geek Walks are open to anyone over the age of 10. However, anyone under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Food & Drink
Please note we do not supply any food or drinks for this day walk, you will need to fend for yourself.
I am afraid dogs are not allowed on this trip, unless they are registered assistance dogs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
There are no permissions expressed or implied by the Adventure Geek organisers. Participants make use of the facilities at their own risk and without express permission from the Adventure Geek organisers.
Walking is a physically active sport. If you have any doubts about your abilities, you should always seek advice from your GP before embarking on an Adventure Geek walk.
By registering for an event you accept that you do so entirely at your own risk and that it is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit and able to take part in the event. We regroup often and our walks cater for all levels of fitness.
Children under the age of 16 years old are the responsibility of their parents or guardians and need to be accompanied at all times before, during and after the walk.
Adventure Geek volunteers do not accept responsibility for injury, loss and damage sustained by a participant unless the above injury, loss and damage are proven to have been caused as a direct result of negligence on the part of the organisers.
Dogs are welcome on the majority of our walks, however, we kindly ask that only one dog per walker and that the welfare of the animal remains your responsibility throughout your walk. On occasion, we may add a note of “No dogs allowed” on specific walks (usually those with cattle), please respect this note.
- Deposits of this event are non-refundable.
- If you cancel within 10 days of the event then no refunds are available.