CAMINO PREPARATION WEEKEND WORKSHOP
Your Camino starts long before you take your first steps on the trail!
This weekend workshop is not just for those walking the Camino with Adventure Geek, it is also for those who are looking to plan their own journey and walk independently. In other words, in true Camino style, all pilgrims are welcome!
It's easy to feel overwhelmed or bogged down with the enormous task of planning and preparing for your Camino. We understand there are times when you may need more guidance than a guide book or online forums may have to offer.
This two day, weekend Camino Preparation Workshop will provide you with practical information and useful insights based on experience.
Click on the tabs at the bottom of this page for a full itinerary.
If the group workshop dates below do not suit you.. why not consider a Private one-on-one Camino Preparation Workshop (date and time can be flexible to suit your availability, contact us directly).
THE CAMINO MAGIC
What is special about the Camino?
Historically, most people undertook the Camino de Santiago as a religious pilgrimage. Nowadays, whilst many still have religious reasons for doing so, a significant number of pilgrims are not religious and have other reasons for walking The Way.
Here are a few aspects of the Camino De Santiago that make the whole experience unique:-
- Time to think:
In our everyday lives, we get very little time for reflection and thought. When all you need to think about is walking, sleeping and eating then you find that you have plenty of time for reflection and thinking about stuff. Or sometimes, you will find that you have walked a few miles and not actually had a single thought about anything. It’s very hard to explain, but this is one of the magical aspects of this wonderful place.
- The scenery:
The Camino offers such a variety of scenery. From cute Spanish villages with their wooden window boxes and glorious flowers to rich mountains full of wildlife. From vineyards to forests, there is something for everyone.
- The people you meet:
Everyone is walking in the same direction, but they come from all over the world. It is a place where you are not judged by the size of your house, the car that you drive or what you do for a living. It is a place where your ego is left at home. Everyone is in the same boat. You are all wearing walking clothes, you all have rucksacks, you eat the same food, yet you all have different stories to tell. Most people walk the stages as written in the guidebooks, therefore you get to see the same people at café’s or hostels each day. The friendships made on the Camino are known as your “Camino Family” and they often become friends for life.
- The weather:
The Adventure Geek Camino Tasters will be between May to October, and we are more-a-less guaranteed relatively warm weather (in UK terms!). You are also heading west each day which means the sun is always on your left. You can spot a Pilgrim as we tend to develop a one-sided suntan! Please note that it does also rain in Spain… quite a bit!
- Clarity about your future / solve that problem:
People walk the Camino for all sorts of reasons. It may be a simple physical challenge, or you may be at a crossroads in your life and need to ponder on the issue before making a decision. Many people also walk as they are grieving (the loss of a loved one, or perhaps a break up of a relationship). I have heard that many stories where people did not even know why they were called to walk the path but felt that they had too. Not everyone is religious, but most people have an open mind and find clarity in their situation whilst walking The Way.
You have booked your flights, and now you are ready to embark on your Camino journey. But there may still be some thoughts in your mind such as:-
- You may not speak Spanish.
- Perhaps you are not an experienced walker?
- You may be questioning how fit do you need to be.
- What is it like sleeping in hostels with other people? Is the snoring that bad? Can I say in hotels or do I have to stay in hostels?
- Carrying your rucksack along the way – are there options.
- And many more…
BEFORE THE WORKSHOP:
- You will start receiving a series of emails. This will give you a 12-week training plan, a full packing list, relevant films to watch, the best forums to visit, fabulous books to read for inspiration etc.
- You will also be added to the relevant WhatsApp or Facebook Group for your class so that you can get to know your fellow pilgrims.
- Note: Your workshop will include a basic Camino starter pack (Shell, Passport, notepad and a surprise).
DAY ONE – WORKSHOP
All workshops are to be based in the hidden Cotswolds known as Northamptonshire. The venue for the workshop and also local accommodation will be confirmed in your confirmation email.
- Introductions and coffee commences at 9.30am
- The history of the Camino
- The different routes explained
- The Frances Route in a bit more detail (as this is the most popular route).
- The Camino Passport (included in your package)
- The Camino Shell explained (included in your package)
- Navigation and waymarking
- Important apps to download
- Albergue / Hostel etiquette
- How to book accommodation
- What to bring (an actual exercise where we have a “pack-showdown” with your own rucksack)
- Money matters
- Blisters and first aid
- A Spanish Lesson
- A typical day on the Camino
- Laundry advise and tips
- Gadgets and wifi on the Camino
- Food and drink
- Bag shipping and how to use this service.
- The inner journey and talking through any doubts that you may have.
- The weather, how to be prepared.
- Shoes, poles and rucksacks – discussion and tips.
- Lunch is not provided. Please bring a packed lunch.
- The first day will finish at 4 pm.
DAY TWO – 10 MILE HIKE
- Experience your own mini Camino. What is it like to walk 10 miles in one day with a full rucksack and with other pilgrims?
- Hopefully, your pack will be much lighter than yesterday after your pack showdown.
- We will stop for lunch at a local pub.
- We will have a debrief at the end of the walk and then say goodbye to your new pilgrim friends and wish them Buen Camino!
PREVIOUS CAMINO WORKSHOPS
Terms and Conditions:
- Deposits are none refundable. The balance will be due 14 days prior to the event.
- If in the event, any participants fail to attend without prior written cancellation, carries the total loss of the payment.
- We will accept cancellations by writing or email firstname.lastname@example.org up to ten business days before the event. However, your initial deposit will not be refundable.
- Verbal cancellation will not be accepted.
- We reserve the right to refuse a refund in the situation where the person who is booked into the workshop fails to attend the workshop on the day or does not give the days of notice required (as above).
- If a refund is applicable, the money will be deposited into your nominated account within 5 business days of cancellation.
- The booking is not transferrable to another person.
- This booking is only valid for this workshop and is not transferrable to any other workshop/event.