CAMINO PYRENEES – 2023
The Camino is not just a walking holiday, it's a vacation from life. Join us on this magical trail for an experience of a lifetime as we explore the delights of the Pyrenees mountains, spend a night in a monastery and be woken by piped music! This is a true Camino experience.
DATES: 18th Sept – 23rd Sept 2023 (dependant on flights being released)
- Includes accommodation, private transfers, some meals, and luggage transfer.
- An experienced guide on the ground.
- A fitness plan, plus training hikes to get you ready for your challenge.
- A workshop so you have a complete understanding of the Camino.
- You will receive a Camino starter pack, including a Camino shell, peace pebble, guide, and Camino passport.
- This package does NOT include flights (although we will happily advise and assist you with this).
- A single supplement or upgrade to a private room is available upon request.
- Note: If you would like to extend your adventure, then join the Camino Castile adventure (wine region of the Camino) from 25th September to 1st October.
GET OUTSIDE AND GET INSPIRED, GO TAKE A HIKE!
Find out more by clicking the tabs below the photos.
9 in stock
Walk the first stage of the Camino de Santiago, from St Jean Pied de Port which crosses the French and Spanish border to Pamplona where they host the “running of the bulls”.
Experience an authentic Camino as you join fellow pilgrims on your journey across the Pyrenees mountains, sleep in a monastery enjoy a pilgrim meal with people from all over the world and celebrate in style as you arrive in Pamplona where the wine is cheaper than the water!
SEPTEMBER 18th – TRAVEL DAY
- 0700hrs: Depart from London Stansted Airport (STN) – London Stansted Airport (STN)
- 09:50hrs – Arrive at Biarritz Pays Basque Airport (BIQ) – Biarritz Pays Basque Airport (BIQ)
- 10:30hrs Private Transfer Check-in at hotel in, Biarritz
- Enjoy a nice evening meal and explore Biarritz
SEPTEMBER 19TH – DAY 1 – ST JEAN TO REFUGE ORISSON
- Check out of the hotel in Biarritz – Biarritz
- 8:30hrs – Private Transfer
- 10:00hrs – Walkers briefing, collect your first Pilgrim stamp and then we set off into the fabulous Pyrenees Mountains. Today's walk is about 5 miles, but it is mostly uphill and can be quite challenging. The views along the way are amazing!
- 14:00hrs – Enjoy a cold glass of Sangria – Check-in at Refuge Orisson
- Included: Evening pilgrim meal.
September 20th – DAY 2 – REFUGE ORISSON TO RONCESVALLES
- 7:30hrs Check out at Refuge Orisson and enjoy a traditional French Breakfast with the biggest coffee mugs you have ever seen!
- 8:30hrs – Leave your luggage in reception and meet outside for the walkers briefing.
- Today we take a trip up and over the Pyrenees mountains. We walk through lots of forest areas, see wild horses, sheep & cows and do a little dance over the Spanish border. We have lunch in the small hut (which we collected from the refuge last night). The descend into Roncesvalles where we will sleep in an old monastery. Today's trail is approx 10.5 miles / 17km
- The evening meal is included with the hostel, although there is an option to upgrade to the hotel across the road if you so wish.
SEPTEMBER 21st – DAY 3 – RONCESVALLES TO ZUBIRI
- 7:30hrs – Check out at Albergue de peregrinos de Roncesvalles
- 8:15hrs – Leave your luggage and enjoy your breakfast.
- 8.30hrs – Walkers briefing then we set off heading for Zubiri. Today we have the ringing of the bell, visit a few churches, enjoy lots of cafes and a stroll along the river. The descent into Zubiri is rather steep, so poles may be needed on this section. The walk today is approximately 13.5 miles / 21 km.
- Evening meal – flexible, although I do know a cracking little place just on the outskirts of town.
- Tonight's accommodation is either a hostel or hotel.
SEPTEMBER 22nd – DAY 4 – ZUBIRI to PAMPLONA
- 8:00hrs Check out of our hotel (breakfast is included).
- 8:15hrs – leaving our luggage & walkers briefing.
- 8.30hrs – And we are off. – ZUBIRI TO PAMPLONA – 12.5 miles / 20.5 km. Today's walk is a beautiful trail. There are a few hills to climb, but there are also lots of little Spanish villages and cafes along the way. Once you reach the walls of Pamplona you can celebrate in style and grab a stamp at the Cathedral.
- Tonight we are staying in pure luxury at the wonderful Hotel Tres Reyes. You have just completed the Camino Pyrenees section so you deserve a bit of pampering!
SEPTEMBER 23rd – TRAVEL DAY
- 10am – Check out at Hotel Tres Reyes – but you can leave your luggage in the main reception as you walk 5 mins into the city to explore this wonderful place.
- 13:00 Private transport back to the airport.
- 15:10 Depart from Biarritz Pays Basque Airport (BIQ) – Biarritz
- 16:00 Arrive at London Stansted Airport (STN)
IS THIS FOR ME?
This is a guided walk, however, our style is very different from most organised walking holidays. We are keen for everyone to walk at their own pace. If you want to take photos or videos or perhaps you are a super speedy walker, or just like to take your time, then our style will suit you. You have the choice of walking with the group or walking on your own. All we ask is that you meet us for a daily walkers briefing where you will be given places to “check-in” on the Adventure Geek app. Safety is our number one priority.
Type of trail:
You will follow a historic pilgrimage trail, in the footsteps of generations of travellers.
This trip is suitable for:
If you are able to walk a minimum of 10 miles comfortably, then you will have no problems with this section of the Camino. I would highly recommend adding some hill training before you set off as we will be walking over the Pyrenees mountains (although it is a track and there is no climbing on this route) – see videos for the terrain.
Ideal if you:
- Are you at a crossroads in your life? Many people find closure or answers to life's problems on this trail.
- Interested in a spiritual journeys
- Religious reasons
- Personal Growth
- Historical Journeys
Grade & Terrain
The trail consists of a mixture of dirt tracks, minor roads and footpaths. There are steep inclines on the first day, and then a forest trail into Roncesvalles on day two. We spend one day walking alongside a river and there are many cafes along the route where you can grab refreshments. Grade: Moderate.
You have the choice to walk with the group or head off on your own. If you decide that you wish to venture off on your own or with friends, then the Camino is very easy to follow. The route is marked with yellow painted arrows and a yellow shell on a blue background. The
You will receive a travel pack which includes a detailed guidebook with maps etc. In addition to the guidebook/map, you will also have access to our Adventure Geek App, allowing you to follow the route on your smartphone (full training will be provided)
Our Camino Pyrenees tour includes a range of hotels from plush four star hotels in Biarritz & Pamplona, to classic, very clean hostels in the Pyrenees mountains and Zubiri.
Can I upgrade?
Single rooms are available, although a supplement is payable for the hotels. If staying in a hostel or bunkroom is not your cup of tea, then you can upgrade to a private room (twin or single). There is one hostel where we have no option to upgrade as it is right in the middle of the Pyrenees, but this is all part of the Camino experience and I guarantee you will love it!
Some meals are included.
👍 A walking guide on the ground (qualified and first aider)
👍 5 nights of accommodation (with some meals included)
👍 Baggage Transfers.
👍 Private transfers to and from the airport.
👍 Camino guide book, Camino Passport, Peace Pebble.
👍 Access to the Adventure Geek Smartphone App.
👍 Access to the class of 2023 “orange club”, which gives you first dibs to the training walks before they are released to the public along with a discount.
❌ Return travel (flights) to France/Spain.
❌ Lunches, dinners (optional), snacks or drinks.
❌ Travel Insurance.
❌ Personal Equipment.
❌ Taxi transfers or public transport should you need to skip a stage.
Our full terms and conditions of the holiday can be found here.
Adventure Geek is working in partnership with Kriss Saunders from ARC Divers Ltd , T/A Arc Adventure. The terms with regards to accommodation will fall under Arc Adventure terms as follows:-
- Visa charges & Travel Insurance are not included in the cost.
- Any meals and services unless mentioned in the itinerary are not included.
- The hotels and services as mentioned are subject to availability at the time of booking.
- In case of unavailability in mentioned hotels, alternate accommodation will be arranged in a similar category hotel. Rates may change in case of change in hotel rates, transport rates or entrance fees & airport taxes Rates are not valid during trade fairs, exhibitions and special events. A surcharge will be levied Check in time is 1400 hrs and Check out time is 12noon. Early check-in/ late checkout is subject to availability.
Paying for your Holiday
When you make your booking you must pay a non-refundable deposit of £100 per person.
The balance of the price of your travel arrangements must be paid not later than 12 weeks before your departure date.
Where bookings are made within 12 weeks of departure the whole of the holiday charge is payable at the time of booking.
If you cancel your holiday
You or any member of your party may cancel your travel arrangements at any time. If you need to cancel your holiday you must tell us as soon as possible. Written notification from the person who made the booking must be received at our offices. Since we incur costs in cancelling your travel arrangements and the risk that we will not be able to resell your holiday, you will have to pay cancellation charges as follows (see also the exception below):
|Period before departure in which you notify us||Cancellation charge|
|More than 70 days||Deposit only|
|Between 70 and 57 days||30% of holiday cost|
|More than 56 days||Deposit only|
|Between 56 and 43 days||50% of holiday cost|
|Between 42 and 15 days||80% of holiday cost|
|Within 14 days or after departure||100% of holiday cost|
Note: If the reason for your cancellation is covered under the terms of your insurance policy, you may be able to reclaim these charges.
Our Refund Guarantee
- If we have to cancel your holiday for any reason, we will always aim to offer you an alternative or a full refund.
- Before the balance due date, if you need to cancel your booking, our standard loss of deposit cancellation terms as per our booking conditions apply.
- After the balance due date, if you need to cancel your booking, our standard cancellation terms as per our booking conditions apply. If your reason for cancellation is covered by insurance, you may be able to reclaim these charges.
- When you first make your booking, we may need to commit to certain services straight away to secure your holiday. These might include paying for flights that need to be booked and paid for up-front, or even costs to confirm specific accommodation or excursions. We’ll tell you about these costs at the time of booking and they will form part of your non-refundable deposit.
- As your holiday departure date draws near, there may be other costs we pay in advance, to our ground handlers, to secure services such as accommodation, transport, or entrance tickets and these are described as non-recoverable costs. These costs will vary depending on your chosen holiday and how close to the departure you cancel your booking, but generally, the closer to your departure date, the more costs we may have committed to and subsequently, the less we will be able to refund.