- This event has passed.
CREATE YOUR OWN WALKS : FOR BEGINNERS
May 30 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am BST
This is an interactive online course that will teach you how to create your own walks (anywhere in the world). Using technology, you will then learn how to navigate your walks, find other people's walks, using your phone (iPhone or Android).
We feel that it is time to embrace technology, therefore this workshop will include apps, and navigation techniques that can be achieved using a smartphone. If you enjoy studying a paper map and using a compass, then this workshop may not be for you.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
- Absolute beginners – I will teach in a step by step way.
- You want to explore new footpaths and trails that are near to you .
- You would like to learn how to explore trails set by other people when you are on holiday or in a new area.
- You would love to take a group of friends on a local walk, safely.
- Those keen to add a bolt on to their existing business ie: Dog walkers, event organisers etc)
- Local health walkers who would like to increase their skill knowledge.
- Those looking at setting up a walking club in the future and would like an introduction into the work that may be involved in running a club.
- An introduction to Alltrails software, including mapping a 5 mile local walk.
- Once we have created the walk, you will then learn how to use your phone to follow the trail created (and find other trails nearby).
- I will also go through some other apps to help create simple videos of your walks to share on social media, as well as some other apps that you may find interesting.
- How to be safe on a walk – the essentials.
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- Please register a free account with Alltrails.com – this is the software that we will be using. (Please do this before the event).
- A laptop or computer. We will be creating the maps on a computer first, then following them on our phones.
- A smartphone, with the Alltrails app downloaded.
- A zoom account.
Get Outside, Get Inspired, Now Go Take A Hike!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
There are no permissions expressed or implied by the Adventure Geek organisers. Participants make use of the facilities at their own risk and without express permission from the Adventure Geek organisers.
Walking is a physically active sport. If you have any doubts about your abilities, you should always seek advice from your GP before embarking on an Adventure Geek walk.
By registering for an event you accept that you do so entirely at your own risk and that it is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit and able to take part in the event. We regroup often and our walks cater for all levels of fitness.
Children under the age of 16 years old are the responsibility of their parents or guardians and need to be accompanied at all times before, during and after the walk.
Adventure Geek volunteers do not accept responsibility for injury, loss and damage sustained by a participant unless the above injury, loss and damage are proven to have been caused as a direct result of negligence on the part of the organisers.
Dogs are welcome on the majority of our walks, however, we kindly ask that only one dog per walker and that the welfare of the animal remains your responsibility throughout your walk. On occasion, we may add a note of “No dogs allowed” on specific walks (usually those with cattle), please respect this note.