DISTANCE:- 4 miles (ish) 

HEALTH:- All fit and healthy, although we will ache tomorrow after those steep climbs! 

WEATHER:-  weird! Sun, rain, sun, rain… and lots and lots of wind! 

SUMMARY: We set off from our homes around 8.15 am and finally arrived in Minehead by 2 pm. By the time we had driven around looking for a car parking space and also circled a roundabout 10 million times to get a video of Butlins (childhood memories!), we were all set to leave by 2.30 pm. After an eventful 4 miles, we are all tucked up in our tents, overlooking the sea. It’s a bit windy! 


2.30 pm – We found the start which is a lovely looking monument with two hands holding a South West Coastal Path Map. We took the obligatory photos and then I jumped for joy! What was that on the floor? It was a Camino shell! Yep, a whole trail of Camino shells which we had to follow. I looked at Debby and we knew this trip was meant to be. 

2.40 pm – We started our proper hike, but wow! Look at that! A rainbow 🌈 that was so prominent it was breathtaking! The photo and video just don’t do it justice. 

2.45 pm – Still in Minehead, about 300 yards from the start and we all decide to buy water. I sat chatting with an old man with a flat cap on, unshaven but had Airpods in! As the others got water I guarded the rucksacks and the old man explains how wonderful the tea was in this area and gave me a weather forecast for the next week. 

3 pm – Still in Minehead as we stroll by the public toilets. The debate didn’t last as long as we all decided to “find one”. We spent a penny and finally, we were on our way! 

3.10 pm, this hill is never-ending. This pack feels so heavy! Why did I pack extra water, did I really need it? OMG, this hill is so steep! And the self-talk went on! I stopped for breath and the others were a little way behind me. I looked out to sea and peace washed over me. This is it, this is where I’m meant to be.  I could hear puffing and panting behind me so dug deep and told myself to cut the negative talk. 

4.15 pm – The forest trail eventually ended and we were presented with a vastness of heather and shrubbery. If I didn’t have the sea to my right then I’d have thought I was on Dartmoor or the Yorkshire Moors.  Then, through the haze and rain, I spotted three wild horses. One was scratching himself against a tree, the others were just casually munching away. It dawned on me that it perhaps wasn’t cows I needed to worry about on this trip! 

Hey, I think that’s a car park? I made my way to the small car park and an Indian chap said hello. “Are you looking for something?” He asked me. “Yes, I just wondered if there was a water tap or stream here” I replied. “I have water and he pointed to his car and then opened the boot”. The others were a little way behind me and I was thinking “what if there was a dead body in that car?”. But I’m polite so I followed him to the car. “Can you just hold these suitcases up so I can get my hand underneath for your water”. I held the cases expecting them to be heavy but they were all empty… that’s weird? Why was this guy here, in the middle of the moors with a boot full if empty suitcases? Then in the compartment where you usually have the spare tyre I could see loss of bottles of water. He handed one to me. I thanked him just as the others appeared. The guy then got quite animated and started asking questions. Rebecca was the quickest to respond with a clever answer about where we were hearing (some caste beginning with B. Then he insisted on having his photo taken with us. It was all a bit weird! 

5.15pm – out cut off time to start looking for campsites.  There were no official

Sites for miles and the only one that was local was not opening until next year due to Covid.  Switchbacks, more horses, running streams and amazing views and we finally found a campsite just off the path. It’s very windy, but I feel safe and secure. We’ve all put ticks over the tent pegs and the Lanshans are holding up well. 

Today has been eventful. I wonder what tomorrow has in store for us!