Julia's Reading Challenge for 20190%
Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results
No matter your goals, Atomic Habits offers a proven framework for improving--every day. James Clear, one of the world's leading experts on habit formation, reveals practical strategies that will teach you exactly how to form good habits, break bad ones, and master the tiny behaviors that lead to remarkable results.
If you're having trouble changing your habits, the problem isn't you. The problem is your system. Bad habits repeat themselves again and again not because you don't want to change, but because you have the wrong system for change. You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems. Here, you'll get a proven system that can take you to new heights.
Clear is known for his ability to distill complex topics into simple behaviors that can be easily applied to daily life and work. Here, he draws on the most proven ideas from biology, psychology, and neuroscience to create an easy-to-understand guide for making good habits inevitable and bad habits impossible. Along the way, readers will be inspired and entertained with true stories from Olympic gold medalists, award-winning artists, business leaders, life-saving physicians, and star comedians who have used the science of small habits to master their craft and vault to the top of their field.
Learn how to:
* make time for new habits (even when life gets crazy);
* overcome a lack of motivation and willpower;
* design your environment to make success easier;
* get back on track when you fall off course;
...and much more.
Atomic Habits will reshape the way you think about progress and success, and give you the tools and strategies you need to transform your habits--whether you are a team looking to win a championship, an organization hoping to redefine an industry, or simply an individual who wishes to quit smoking, lose weight, reduce stress, or achieve any other goal
I have never read any of James Clear books however it was in the top ten list on the audible ratings for self-development. Having just completed The Miracle Equation by Hal Elrod I was keen to learn more about habits and this book did not disappoint.
My personal takeaways from this book:-
1. I love the habit stacking idea. This was HUGE for me and has already made an impact on my habits. One habit I wanted to establish was to brush and floss my teeth, every night, without fail! Sometimes I did, and other times I simply forgot! It may sound crazy but I now brush my teeth before bed simply because of this habit stacking ritual. The idea is to add your new habit onto an already established habit. Each morning, after I have showered and got dressed, I have a habit of putting my pj's under my pillow and then make the bed. I now leave my toothbrush along with my book on my pillow. When I go to bed, my toothbrush is there waiting for me and I never forget!
2. Habit tracker. I now understand the benefit of tracking habits and keeping up with streaks. I purchased a bullet journal which is a whole new world I never knew about! There is something about keeping up with a streak of success that keeps you on track with your goals and habits. I love this!
3. 1% rule - working towards your goals just a little bit at a time is also very powerful. I tend to rush in and change everything at once, but now I’m focused on just a few goals and do something every day to achieve them.
I rarely give 5 stars but this book deserves it. Well done James. A good read!
Purchase from Amazon here: https://amzn.to/39X1Vi5